Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member rreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2009
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    288L connection to 1285A Xover

    The 288L HF drivers are not marked L1 & L2. One terminal is marked with a red +. The HF outputs on the 1285A Xover are marked - and +. I know there is an "out of phase" connection protocol with older 288 drivers and older model Xovers but does that hold true with the 288L and the 1285A? Should I connect the positive terminal of the 1285A to the red + terminal on the 288L or the opposite? Thank You

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    All 288's have the same connections.

    The 1285a I don't know about, never used one. Red to + is normal...

    There are frequency generator programs for PC. I suggest using a sweep thru the crossover area, loudest one is in phase. Or if you got an RTA...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by rreynolds View Post
    Should I connect the positive terminal of the 1285A to the red + terminal on the 288L or the opposite? Thank You
    Connect positive to positive (red) I have a 1285B they are identical except the 1285A has a slide switch for changing XO frequency where the B model has terminals.On the old srew down terminals on the 288's it will be ( L2 + positive)

    62

    61
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 21st, 2011 at 12:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2009
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Thank you for your reply. It is most helpful. I see that there is a jumper wire (black) from the two outer most 1200 hz taps to the positive output terminals of the LF and HF. What is the purpose of this connection?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    ...I have a 1285B they are identical except the 1285A has a slide switch for changing XO frequency where the B model has terminals.
    To be thorough, the 1285-8A has different locations for the adjustment and inputs, 1/4" front inputs and does not have barrier strip conns. for the i/o connections on rear.

    Banana and barrier strip of the 1285B would be nice to have, but then again so is the slide switch XO of the A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    To be thorough, the 1285-8A has different locations for the adjustment and inputs, 1/4" front inputs and does not have barrier strip conns. for the i/o connections on rear.

    Banana and barrier strip of the 1285B would be nice to have, but then again so is the slide switch XO of the A.
    Yes I was speaking in general terms of a interchangeable 500,800,1200 Hz crossover. Minus the connections/inputs "They both do the same thing frequency wise" pretty much the same XO.Just packaged slightly different. Model # A/B


    BTW: I would have liked that little slider switch on mine ! But glad I don't have the 1/4" inputs

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    63

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Kewl AB! Now if I get asked about a 1285 before I kick off I can answer.

    My brain is a total collection of info worthless to 99 percent of the planet.

    Read something on the net yesterday...an exercise....

    Think of the most average person you know. Then realize 50% of the world is dumber than that....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Kewl AB! Now if I get asked about a 1285 before I kick off I can answer.

    My brain is a total collection of info worthless to 99 percent of the planet.

    Read something on the net yesterday...an exercise....

    Think of the most average person you know. Then realize 50% of the world is dumber than that....
    No Problemo OG ! I disagree about the 99% of the planet ! Your mind has always been sharper than a tack IMO

    And could still run a very large audio company in your sleep !

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    288L connection to 1285A Xover


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 288L connection to 1285A Xover

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    And could still run a very large audio company in your sleep !
    Jeez, you mean those aren't just nightmares?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.